Thursday, July 16, 2009

An Open Letter Upon Retirement--Rev. Gil Franke


On June 25 of this year, I observed the 37th year since my ordination. I thank God for every one of them! They have been filled with joys innumerable and enriched by rewarding relationships with God’s people in three different congregations and circuits of the Texas District, LC-MS!

Years ago, an aunt, speaking of her uncle, Rev. A. G. Wiederaenders, who began his ministry at St. John Lutheran, Robstown, told me, “Gilbert, your great-uncle Art was blessed in that he was always loved and supported by his congregations.” I thank God that I have been blessed in the same way!

That, of course, makes it somewhat harder to take this step of retirement. I don’t want to disappoint people who have been so loving and supportive. Beth and I have been planning this for a couple of years. We didn’t know if we would be able to retire at the same time or if I would have to wait a year until I turn 65. Especially with the economic conditions being what they are, we thought long and hard about this timetable, but it seems like the right thing to do at this time.
I pray that no one will consider my retirement as a personal rejection or an abdication of ministry. People have been asking, what do you plan to do? That’s a fair question; let me give you a brief answer. We are going to do some traveling, by land and by sea! Somewhere along the way we hope to find a place that calls out to us, “This is home!”

I will be available to do pulpit fills when pastors are on vacation and fill vacancies on a temporary basis. I want to try my hand at some serious writing: poetry, hymns, devotions, special services, maybe even some short stories! I’ll let you all know when I publish something!!! Beth is looking forward to working in some reading programs with a local library wherever we settle.

Putting things in perspective, when we came to St. Paul, Bishop, after 15 ½ years at Bethlehem, Wm Penn, I thought we had stayed longer than we should have. Often it is difficult for a new pastor to follow a long pastorate. Members grow up with one style of ministry and sometimes become inflexible and stubborn. I know that none of you ever would be like that! I don’t want our relationship to be a problem to your new pastor. When there are baptisms, weddings, and funerals in your families, I want you to seek out the support, counsel, and comfort of your new pastor. Those are the times when you will find the greatest measure of his love and strength. I want you to get to know him well and to trust and love him. He will be God’s messenger in your midst. Welcome him, encourage him, support him, love him.
Thank you for that same attitude which you shared with Beth and me over these sixteen years. It has been invaluable and deeply appreciated. With my retirement, I hand back to you the ministry of our Lord that you entrusted to me. Take it up and carry it forward. Care for each other and for your neighbors; reach out to those who are left out, and reach in to those who are in trouble. Be forgiving of one another; do not be caught up in factions and party spirit.

Then when the Lord of the Church brings a new pastor into your midst, let him receive a share in your common task. Listen to him as he speaks God’s word of conviction and of comfort. Hear him proclaim God’s grace and forgiveness. Receive him as he brings God’s grace to bear on your lives in the holy Sacraments. Work alongside him in service to each other and to your community. Continue to use and encourage those leadership skills that develop during this vacancy. Share the love of Christ as you have received it by the grace of God, so that others may be drawn close to God, and their hearts turned to Christ.
In Christian love, your retiring pastor,

No comments:

Post a Comment