Monday, August 3, 2009

This Week at Mt. Olive


Good evening, fellow redeemed! Greetings from Austin, Texas.

This past Wednesday, Kathy and I took the kids to Fiesta Texas as part of our vacation. Of course, Jonathan and Kathy were the roller coaster hounds. I rode Goliath, a copy of a roller coaster I rode many times in St. Louis. This time, I could tell I wasn't going to be able to keep my balance if I kept riding them. Alas, the other four, especially Kathy, Jonathan, and Michael, hit the coasters and some of the scarier rides (which I wanted to ride, too). My favorite ride was the Lazy River.

One thing struck me about this Fiesta Texas experience. First, it was kind of expensive, even though we were creative in getting drinks and lunch. But, the biggest lesson on this was time. In riding Goliath, we waited in line for about a half hour to ride a 90-second ride. Kathy, Jonathan, Michael, and Katie waited in line about an hour for Boomerang, for a ride that lasted less than two minutes. Most of the waits were shorter, but you get the idea.

Another innovation at parks: for a fee that's not that small, one can purchase a pass for head of the line privileges! For my family, for a cool $100 extra, we could have put ourselves at the head of the line! But, would head of the line for a half-dozen or so rides that lasted less than two or three minutes be worth that C-note?

How the anticipation builds before an experience of great excitement. But, somehow, the fulfillment of that anticipation is always a bit disappointing. The experience is shorter than we expected or less than we expected or something else that is lacking. But, isn't that the way of this life in this world? Be it a car, a trip, a park visit, or something else, even if we're given head of the line privileges, what we have is never enough.

St. Paul commented on this in Philippians 410-13:
I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. [11] Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. [12] I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. [13] I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

This passage has been quoted ad nauseum over the smallest issues. Paul's point is simple: Whatever the circumstances, the Lord of heaven and earth gives strength to endure and to cling to Him. That's a great promise, even when the ride you're waiting for has "technical difficulties" and prolongs your wait!

You are invited to Messiah Lutheran Church in Calallen next Sunday, August 9. Seminarian Christopher Brynestad will be ordained into the Office of the Holy Ministry at a special service at 3 p.m.

I'll be back in the office on Friday.

God bless!
PKJ

Prayer Primer for this Week:
The sick, the infirmed, and the dying
Those who are stricken with mental illness
The pastors of Circuit 27 and our circuit counselor, Pastor Eckert
Those who serve in our armed forces, who defend our nation
The police, firefighters, EMTs, nurses, and all others who respond to emergencies to protect and aid our society
That God's holy will be done in our lives

This Week at Mt. Olive
Monday, August 3
Zumba Aerobics, 6:30 p.m.

Wednesday, August 5
Zumba Aerobics, 6:30 p.m.

1 comment:

  1. An old devotional book I have reminds me to "number my days aright" that I may know the length of eternity and the shortness of time. Too often we value the momentary thrills of life above the blessings of eternity!

    ReplyDelete