Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St. Patrick, Missionary to Ireland


Patrick is one of the best-known of the missionary saints. Born into a Christian family in Britain around the year AD 389 he was captured as a teenager by raiders and taken to Ireland as a slave. After six years he escaped and made his way to France and joined a monastic community. Ordained as a bishop, he made his way back to Ireland in 433 where he spent the rest of his life preaching and organizing Christian communities. He strongly defended the doctrine of the Holy Trinity when it was unpopular to do so. He died in Ireland on March 17, AD 466. Treasury of Daily prayer, p. 1284

I bind unto myself today
The strong name of the Trinity,
By invocation of the same
The Three in One and One in Three.

I bind this today to me forever
By power of faith, Christ’s incarnation;
His baptism in the Jordan River,
His death on the cross for my salvation;
His bursting from the spiced tomb,
His riding up the heavenly way,
His coming at the day of doom
I bind myself today…

Christ be with me, Christ within me,
Christ behind me, Christ before me,
Christ beside me, Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort and restore me.
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ in quiet, Christ in danger,
Christ in hearts of all that love me,
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.

I bind unto myself the name,
The strong name of the Trinity,
By invocation of the same,
The Three in One and One in Three.
By whom all nature hath creation,
Eternal Father, Spirit, Word:
Praise to the Lord of my salvation,
Salvation is of Christ the Lord.
St Patrick’s Breastplate

Let us pray:
Almighty God, who in your providence chose your servant Patrick to be the apostle of the Irish people, to bring those who were wandering in darkness and error to the true light and knowledge of you: Grant us so to walk in that light, that we may come at last to the light of everlasting life; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and ever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment